You won’t believe number six!
Okay, I get it. In today’s crowded media environment trying to get attention is about as difficult as threading a camel through the eye of a needle. And once you get someone’s attention, keeping it is just as hard as most people seem to have the focus of a manic butterfly on speed. So, I understand the reasoning behind the listicle; I just don’t like where it leads. It capitalizes on lazy thinking and takes advantage of inherent cognitive biases. I realize they have some value and are here to stay but here are five reasons I don’t like lists with numbers in them.
- Just Seeking Attention. When I was a younger, I had an annoying friend who would do and say outrageous things. When I responded he would say in an almost poetic lilt, “I made you look, I made you look!” His sole purpose seemed to be in getting attention. After that there was nothing of substance. Similarly, the current preoccupation with getting “eyeballs” threatens to dilute the message and become more important than providing value and substance. So what if something has been viewed a few million times? I’d rather write a piece that has 50,000 views and 50% of readers value it, than a piece that has a million views and only 1% value it. (Do the math as well as think of the brand perception). In short, the medium threatens to destroy the message.
- Emotional manipulation. In their presentation, listicles take a leaf out of the advertisers playbook and resort to emotional manipulation in order to get attention. Marketers have known for eons that people aren’t logical beings, we’re rationalizers and story-tellers and are driven by emotion. Hook that emotion, be that fear or anger, and at least you can get some attention. But that process minimizes the product. If Moses had come down from the mountain and said, “I have here the Ten Commandments of the Lord,” and then added, “You’ll never guess number two and you won’t believe number seven!” it would have rather distracted from the enormity of the moment. It would imply that the material itself needed promoting in a somewhat manipulative and shoddy way. Emotions are like spices that provide interest and taste to the meal but the problem with a lot of today’s communication is that it’s all Tartar sauce and no steak.
- Listicles Trivialize. Listicles take advantage of binary brain simplicity and reduce content to the simplest of ideas. This is a problem with the development of social media in general — it doesn’t encourage critical thinking and discernment. We live in a sound bite world that minimizes and misrepresents complexity. Five Reasons You Shouldn’t Eat Junk Foods. Just five? There are five hundred reasons you shouldn’t eat junk food and identifying just five is a misrepresentation of the inherent dangers of a poor diet. This also plays into the anchoring bias — the first number you hear anchors your perception, like an ad or infomercial that initially anchors a product to an artificially high price so that subsequent offers seem too good to refuse. Despite the fact that most of us realize that the initial price is artificial it doesn’t prevent us from not just falling foul of this bias, but actually using it to justify our purchase!
- Steps aren’t the same as action. There’s something compelling about numbers and steps as they organize perception, but that’s the problem. They organize it in a way that distorts the material by reducing it into supposedly logical steps. The focus on small numbers, especially in advice about behavior change, also creates a framework that misleads. For example, here are five steps to conquering Mt. Everest. Purchase tickets to Nepal. Buy climbing equipment. Hire a Sherpa. Set up base camp. Start climbing. Easy, right?
- Number Hypnosis. Numbers have legitimacy but they fail to convey nuance. Take a look at Shakespeare. We could rename Romeo and Juliet, Five Ways to Resolve a Family Feud. Or how about renaming Hamlet, Three Ways a Ghost Can Influence International Relations? Rather than just enjoying the drama most of the audience would be partially focused on which step they were on at any one time.
In a complex world, binary brain simplicity and cognitive bias predominate and overall that’s not a good thing. It leads to uncritical thinking, stereotyping and bias of all kinds. That’s why I don’t like listicles. So there.
If you want to learn more, please visit my website www.IThinkThereforeIAmWrong.com where you can find 7 ways to think like a genius, but only for a limited time, while stocks last. You can also find 5 reasons why all ideas on that site are gluten-free.
This article will help the internet viewers for setting up new blog or even a weblog from start to end.
You are so interesting! I don’t believe I have read through anything like this before. So good to find somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this subject. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality!
Hurrah! At last I got a web site from where I be capable of really obtain useful data concerning my study and knowledge.
Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.
Hi: Thanks for responding to my blog post. Please send an email to DrHRankin@gmail.com so we can talk more. Best wishes, Howard
Hello! I’ve been folowing yoour bkog foor a whilee noww aand
fijally gott the brsvery too ggo ahhead aand give youu a shot outt fdom Kingwood Tx!
Just wanted tto sayy kee up thee gret job! I
could nnot resist commenting. Veryy well written!
Wow, thi posst iss pleasant, mmy youngr sister iis
analyzinmg thewse things, sso I aam goijg tto coonvey her.
Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects? Thanks a lot!
This is a good site. http://biocognitive.com
You bet, couldnt agree more! Appreciate you sharing this
Must declare Ive been reading your site for a long time at this point and I still find
it really interesting. This is the very first time Ive actually shared something,
but it won’t end up being the last
I blog quite often and I seriously appreciate your information. This article has really peaked my interest. I will bookmark your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed too.
Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is available on net?
This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Great! I simply have to reveal this with my people
from university. They’d be serious as we’ve outlined it recently also it turned out that nobody’s absolutely sure in regards to the issue. http://bit.ly/2oR2LIZ
Really significant topic and it’s
fascinating just how the writer was able to input a lot information in this readable and concise way. http://bit.ly/2jx36fN
Seriously! This could be among the most useful
blogs we’ve came across about this subject. Spectacular.
You have mentioned very attention-grabbing details. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful, what a web site it is! This webpage gives helpful facts to us, keep it up.
Exceptionally user pleasant website. Tremendous information readily
Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this blog post.
It was practical. Keep on posting!
Good information. Lucky me I discovered your site by accident (stumbleupon).
I have saved it for later!
I truly appreciate your work , Fantastic post.
I went over this site and I think you have a lot of excellent info, saved to bookmarks.
I believe this website got a bit of truly useful stuff on it!
Thanks very interesting blog!
I really like your way of writing, excellent information, thanks for posting.
Thanks for posting this.
Thanks for writing this.
Hello.This post was extremely fascinating, especially because I was looking for thoughts on this subject last
Thank you for writing this.
Great article it’s really informative.
Thank you for another wonderful article. Great
Oh my goodness! an incredible article man. I appreciate you for sharing it.
Excellent article from expert. Thank you a lot
for writing this helpful info for us all.
Thank you for posting this.